CreativeMinds WordPress Plugin Curated RSS Aggregator
- Security Forces Open Fire on Festival Goers, Killing Five[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba -At least five people were killed" yesterday and several others wounded when security forces opened fire at festival goers in Weldiya, some 510 km north of the capital Addis Ababa, in Amhara regional state, according to Alemayehu Yemiru, a resident of the town; but Alemayehu said he believes the number of…
- Hotel Industry Needs Help to Encourage Tourism[The Conversation Africa] The global tourism industry has huge economic importance. It contributes 10% of the world's gross domestic product and 6% of exports. One billion people a year travel somewhere in the world.
- Ethiopia, Egypt Agree to Elevate Joint Comm'n to Heads of State Level[Addis Fortune] Ethiopia and Egypt have agreed today to elevate a joint ministerial commission to the level of heads of state, after concluding a high-level meeting between Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn and Egypt's President, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, diplomatic sources told Fortune.
- IMF Board Warns of Dwindling Reserves[Addis Fortune] External imbalances and inadequate reserve buffers remain key risks to Ethiopia's economy, warn the Board of Directors of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Addis Makes Little Progress on Rights Reforms[HRW] Ethiopia made little progress in 2017 on much-needed human rights reforms. Instead, it used a prolonged state of emergency, security force abuses, and repressive laws to continue suppressing basic rights and freedoms.